Top 5 Indications For Replacing Your Overhead Garage Door
People usually find themselves in a dilemma when they have to decide whether to repair or replace the overhead garage door.
A careful inspection of the wear and tear will help you to assess the extent of the damage. If it can be fixed by putting in a new part or removing the dent, then the door can be used for bit longer.
But if there are any safety hazards like a weak structure, broken cables and springs, overhead door replacement is the best way forward.
5 warning signs for overhead door replacement
The below tell tale signs should not be ignored as it will tell you that it is time for getting a new overhead garage door.
Broken cables, springs and parts
Safety is the number one reason for considering replacing your old garage door.
Cables and springs control the movement of the door. Any damage to these can cause the door to close unexpectedly. This can lead to accidents and serious damage. If you notice any of the below signs, get a new garage door.
- Damage on the bottom section of the door
- Broken edges or splinters on the door
- Rusted cables and wires
Shaking Overhead Door
The garage doors are designed in such a way that they move up and down smoothly. If you notice any shaking while opening or closing the garage door, it is a clear indication that the door has to be replaced.
If the door jerks unexpectedly, it may lead to the total collapse of the structure. This can cause injury and damage to the vehicle.
High energy Overhead door bills
If the utility bill suddenly shoots up, even though there is no change in your usage pattern, then this is another indication.
If the insulation of the garage door is damaged, the air conditioning unit has to work harder in order to maintain the ideal room temperature of your house.
An uneven garage door can also contribute to this as the door will not shut down properly allowing heat to escape.
While oiling the parts will help to reduce the squeaking sounds, it is advisable to seek the services of an overhead door repair service center to inspect if there is any mechanical damage.
If there is any damage then there is no option other than replacing the door.
Old garage doors do not have many safety features. If you want to ensure a good night’s rest for you and family, you must opt for the modern garage doors with advanced safety features.
Unlike the traditional garage doors, the latest models are not easy to break into.
Preventive steps for maintaining garage doors
After installing the new overhead garage door, it is important to follow the below precautionary measure to prolong the life of the garage door.
- Pay attention to the movement of the garage door. Also check for any unusual sounds and inspect the wires and cables on periodic basis.
- As the garage doors are used multiple times a day, all around the years and in different weather conditions, there is a chance that the nuts and bolts become lose. Therefore tighten all the brackets and bolts every once in a while.
- It is important to use the right lubrication to add years to your garage door. White lithium grease works well for chains and screws and spray lubricant does wonders for the overhead springs.
- Clear the tracks on either side of the door to remove any debris that will obstruct the movement of the door.
- It is a good practice to wash the garage door with a mild cleaning agent. Steel doors tend to get rusted over time. Therefore it is important to get it sanded, primed and painted to increase the life of the door.
Overhead garage door repair and replacement is an expensive affair but cost should never be deterrent for ensuring safety. Good and timely maintenance will help you to increase the life span of the door.