What Tools Do You need for a Garage Door Repair
While fixing a garage door, we would definitely require the correct tools. The correct tools will make our repair process a smooth and easier learning experience. Sometimes usage of the wrong tool would also lead to malfunction of the components that are working fine. Hence the knowledge functionality and circumstances where that specific tool can be used should be known clearly by you before you start the repair job.
A garage usually consists of the tool section. Few commonly used tools are as follows:
- Winding bars: are specially made for garage door spring replacement jobs. It comes in different sizes as per the usage requirement, either personal or commercial. The commercially used winding bars would be longer due to a larger spring usage.
- Digital caliper: This is used for doing acute and precise measurements. For example, the thickness of the wire or coil would be 0.008 inches. In such cases a normal scale does not work and digital calipers are required.
- Safety cables and cable pulling clamp: When the spring gets damaged there are many chances for the spring to get disintegrated with force. This being very dangerous, the cable is attached to the garage door track to keep the spring in position. The cable should not be pulled tighter since that would further cause disturbances to the spring. A cable pulling clamp is used for this reason.
- Stationary cone tool: This is used to dislocate the cone from the spring during a torsion spring replacement job.
- Safety glasses: When the winding bars are required to be cut as per the spring cone measurements, very minute metal pieces disintegrate in air. Safety glasses help us to protect our eyes from these fine dusts.
- Torsion shaft hammer: When the spring is being replaced, torsion shaft hammer is used to adjust the slight measurements hence protecting the ends of the spring.
- Transmitter frequency reader: This instrument is very easy to use and it fine tunes the transmitter fixed in the garage door.
- Radio receiving testing tool: This again is a very easy simple tool to use. Often used to test the receivers and the measure the range between the transmitter and receiver.
- Quick roller change tool: This is used to change the roller as soon as possible. The tool comprises of an extractor and inserter.
- Spring spreader tool: This tool can be used to spread the coils in the spring while a repairing it.
- Professional swaging kit: This kit generally contains hand swagger, button stops, thimbles, cable cutter of different sizes. As per our requirement, that specific size can be used.
Above mentioned are most essential tools used when it comes to fix a broken garage door. Investing on these tools is a very good decision which would avoid high amount of handyman expenses at a long run. Also we get good discounts in the shops when we place bulk order. The clear knowledge about each is a definite requirement. In case you are a beginner, please get assistance from an experienced person. A fully equipped tool section makes life easier.