Why Is It Important To Do A Overhead Garage Door Repair?
For most people, the most used part of the house is their garage. Irrespective of the hour or the season, the garage door is used multiple times. This makes it one such part of the house that needs constant looking after. You need to perform preventive care and maintenance on the overhead garage door.
- Every time you use the garage door a quick 5 to 10 second check should suffice to determine if the doors are in good working condition. If you feel the movements of the door are jerky, it’s making some weird noises and the cables look asymmetrical, then its time to get your door checked.
- The garage door is used many times a day and several times in a year. The constant motion and vibration will eventually result in loosening of the hardware which needs to be repaired. Periodic checks will prevent major mishaps from happening. overhead door Rollers which are worn or chipped may pose a threat at any point of time.
- The overhead garage door is attached to springs and needs to be properly balanced at all times. In case you pull up the door halfway, it should stay in place else there is a spring imbalance which needs to be rectified. Broken or loose springs can cause serious injury.
- It is also important to visually check the cables for any sign of wear and tear or frayed ends. As these are high tension cables, they have so much of force that they can kill a person. These cables need to be replaced by trained professionals only.
- Any moving object needs some form of garage door lubrication to make it move smoothly. If the hydraulics and springs are not lubricated, it will shorten the life span of the garage door which in turn will cost you more to replace! Ensure that lubricating grease is applied to all chains and springs.
- The bottom of all garage doors has a weather strip which keeps out the external elements. This needs to be replaced too if you notice any damage to it.
- Most overhead garage doors will have an auto reverse safety feature. In case anyone or anything is stuck in the path of the garage door, this feature will automatically reverse the movement of the garage door. This is a very important feature especially if we have young kids or pets with us. So if this safety feature seems to be the issue, it is certainly better to get it checked and repaired at the earliest.
- Apart from the hardware, spring cables, rollers and wires, the main garage door also needs to be under constant care. Since the door is exposed to the outer climatic conditions at all times, they need to be regularly checked for any kind of damage. Ensure that you undertake regular cleaning of your door.
The garage door is an essential part of your home, which makes up about one third of your house. It is important to keep it clean and in working condition. If you know the basics you can do it yourself, else it’s always better to call in professionals to do it for you. It’s always better to be safe than sorry!